June 20, 2006

Gum

I don't particularly like gum. If it is offered to me, I will take a piece, but very rarely do I actually buy gum at the store. Somehow, however, here in Durres it seems to be impossible to leave the grocery store without buying a piece of gum.

First, you have to understand that Albania is a cash society. Check writing does not exist and places that accept credit cards are few and far between. Every purchase, every transaction here is purely cash. The odd thing is, though, that every store seems to be continually short on small change.

The lowest value coin here is the 5 leke coin, which equals about an American nickel. However, most stores never seem to have any 5 leke coins in their tills. Most solve this problem by keeping prices in multiples of 10, but not at my grocery store.



Each time I go to the store, I always seem to need some item that has a cost ending in 5. At that point, I have two choices. I can either look for another item that I might need ending in five, or I can take the chance that maybe that day they will have a 5 leke coin. Every time I take the risk, I get "gummed". After the girl rings up my purchases, she gives me the "Sorry no 5 leke coins today" smile and offers me a piece of gum instead. So, I end up buying gum.

I am not complaining though, cause if I am lucky, the gum has a temporary, stick-on tattoo inside. Now that is something worth 5 leke.

P.S. Somebody from N.Y. mentioned Jack Handy in the comments. My favorite Jack Handy quote goes something like "I really wish my name was Jared. Then when I walk down the street people would say, 'Hey there goes Jared Hammersmith.' Oh yeah, I also wish my last name was Hammersmith."

8 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, Blogger The PC said...

This happened to my family during our vacation in Montenegro all the time (with Euros and candy). I found it a little irritating at first, but then it became a fun game. We gained a few candy pounds, but it was worth it.

I didn't remember it happening in Albania,but I'm not surprised. At least you are choosing a less calorie packed "currency".

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger ITS said...

Hey, you should save some pieces of gum in your pocket and give exact change with it.

Now, that will throw those damn Albanians shopkeepers off for a loop.

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the xylitol in the gum? In case there is, the whole monetary system will work wonders for your poor teeth.
I just have to say I just found your blog and enjoy it immensly. There is something remarkably interesting about Albania - for me as a European it always felt like another planet, like the missing link of countries, and I take great interest in that place now. Is it worth a visit?

 
At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, the gum there sucks, trust me!!!

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Selfmaderadio said...

About credit cards in albania: I was recently in Korca, staying in a hotel, I believe it is called "Grand Hotel", and it used to be "the hotel" during communism. So, I was at this hotel for a couple of days, got short of money, but never mind, I have always my master card with me. A shield at the hotel desks says: master card accepted, I smile, put my card out and give it to the receptionist. He looks at me with wild eyes, and says: nononono.
I show the sign with master card. He: yeah, but the devise doesn't work. Sorry. Cash, please. 11.00 am check out time! That's it!

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tobias,

if you expect a place like Mallorca or any other western kind of tourist place than Albania is not the case. But if you search for something else than Albania is definitely the place to go.

Here are some links of people who've described their experiences:
http://www.offroad-reisen.com/REISEN/ALBANIEN/ALB-_Menu.htm (sorry its only in German)
and a recent (of yesterday) article in NYT
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/09/travel/28frugaltraveler.html

regards,

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, anonymous. I am most definately not looking for Mallorca. If I was, I would look for it in Mallorca.
Albania is fascinating in many ways, and I do consider it for my next holidays...

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, the same is here in Romania
one a guy tried to give to the seller the candy, in order to make the candy flow circulate on both directions, but it just didn't work.
:D

Olahus
Bucharest
Romania

 

Post a Comment

<< Home