May 20, 2006

Furgon Flip Flop

Durres is the second largest city in Albania. Living in such a large city here makes me wonder sometimes if I am missing the "real Albania". Life in the villages and smaller towns is much more provencial and much more conservative. There are certain liberties that people in Durres and Tirana enjoy and certain restrictions on behavior that they no longer acknowledge. I tend to forget how different this country can be from the cities to the villages.

This became clearer Thursday as I was traveling by furgon (mini-bus) to Elbasan from Durres. I hadn't experienced a "furgon flip flop" since my days in Belsh during training. The furgon filled with 8 passengers in Durres and I was seated next to the window in the middle seat. Beside me were a young man and a young woman, husband and wife. Two older women and a young man were in the back.

Halfway to Elbasan, the furgon stopped to pick up a middle-aged couple. A problem arose. Four passengers would have to ride in the middle and the back to accomodate the couple. The older woman naturally moved to the back seat to sit next to the others. However, the older man would then have to have a place on the middle seat, and having him sit next to the young wife was not an option, lest her honor be put into jeopardy. But wait, if the young couple simply switched seats the situation would worsen considerably. The young wife would be sitting next to me! A young, virile, (dare I say) attractive, 25-year-old man, and who knows what unmentionable advances I might attempt on her during the rest of the trip. So, the solution was easy. I would crawl over the couple from the window and then be wedged between the two men on the middle seat. A seat designed for three, which always seems to accomodate more. It's situations like the furgon flip flop that remind me where I am.

12 Comments:

At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, it couldn't have been quite that bad. Did anybody say anything or were there just "stares" that could have been interpreted either way?

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get it. Did the young man or woman tell you to move?

I have commuted COUNTLESS times on Albanian intercity and intracity furgons/buses and have NEVER experienced something like that.

Half of the times I am traveling on a furgon, I have a woman sitting next to me. I am a male BTW.

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very funny!

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger David Sheern said...

Actually, it was the driver that asked me to move, and it has happened several times since I have been here.

 
At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, strange. Yet, anything can happen. Just in case that gets you too depressed I'd suggest checking out this posting and following the links in there:

http://www.peshkupauje.com/?p=1191

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Anna said...

That's an awesome story, both culturally, and personally!
Today in a mini-bus I had a Lithuanian guy (in a really terrible sweater, by the way) ALL up in my personal space. Crazy...

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger The PC said...

This is a little strange. do you speak any albanian?
It's true, city and country are two completely different worlds in Albania, but this doesn't really fit in my understanding of the culture.
I'm all Albanian by the way...and all woman ;)

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Miss Kim said...

It's funny how Albanians read our stories of something that really happened to us and then question our reality. It's what happened to us and it's real.

 
At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not questioning your reality. ;)

It just so happens that I (and the other Albanians posting here) have never experienced anything like when traveling on a furgon.

Since David is American and the driver probably speaks with a dialect, I assumed there might have been some sort of communication misunderstanding.

Don't take this the wrong way. I love the stories, impressions and misunderstandings foreigners write about Albania. :)

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Miss Kim said...

ahhh.... okay :)

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well my friend things happens. have you tried going out in tirana during the weekends? From your posts I have noticed that you are not having fun so I thought you could have some fun for a change and post it here.

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David may be it is your beard that makes you look dangerous :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home