July 26, 2006

Death Notices

In America we have obituaries. Here they post notices on the street.

The death notices that are pasted around town have been something that have really stuck in my thoughts over the past year. How a culture deals with death says a lot.

As an American, I sometimes feel offended by the way death notices are just pasted on walls and signs around town. I guess, more than that, it bothers me that the notices are just left to be weather beaten and pasted over by more recent passings. I cannot help but think that this is a disrespect to the people these signs are meant to venerate, even though I know that is not how Albanians see it.

Death is public here. Albanians grieve openly and demonstratively. Families are expected to open their homes for three to seven days following the death of a family member so that the community may come and grieve with them.

The American response to death is much more subdued and individual. We tend to believe that each person should be left to grieve in his or her own way, and we really offer support only when it seems the person desires it. The community still offers support, but it is much more practical and less demonstrative.

I know that this is generalizing both Americans and Albanians, and we all respond to death differently, but these are the general things I have noticed and been thinking about.

I suppose I understand the public or communal nature of death here, and I understand the purpose of the public death notices, but coming from the culture I do it just does not quite feel right.

I think it also has to do with my personal nature. This may sound weird, but I really do not want people to grieve when I die. I want people to remember me, but to be happy for the life I have had. I don't know, I guess I am still trying to work it all out in my head.

9 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Blogger Andre said...

They also use notices in Italy.

I agree with you about grieving though - It's better to be respected and remembered in your lifetime rather than when you're gone.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger bytycci said...

that's a good point.
I suggest you do some research on the Albanian "Wailing songs". Funerals and "the support" afterwards have a socializing function. People from faraway come to "support" the family, who wouldn't come to visit otherwise. Look for the translation of the proverb: Ra ky mort e u pame.

Best

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger MĂ«rgimtari said...

Bytyqis' suggestion about looking up the mourning songs is a good one. They are fascinating.

I have a few MP3s if you're interested.

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it truly fascinating - in Sweden (and Finland) we are intimidated by death. We don't like it and it tends to make us even more quiet and reserved than we normally are. It is such a different approach to cry it out in public. Different but not bad.

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand how you feel about this David,because you came from a very different culture...I lost my mom last year and believe it or not,other people were the ones that helped me to get through that,it's so great to have people near in difficult time and that is part of the reason why we do this things when so that we help each othere when somebody else dies.It was so difficult when things were back to normal because those people were not there all the time...About the grieving part,I do not like it either,when women scream you know,but I think that grieving also helps so that you let you emotions out.I hope you understand me,bye.Ajald(Durres)

 
At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Albania is smaller, less urban. Everyone knows everyone here, believe me! It's a community thing. You can't escape it, if you ar ean Albanian. You cannot be a single entity in Albania. Each person always represents his/her family, circle in everything s/he does there during all his/her life. Our grandparents worked together and knew each other, our parents, and now we went to school together and still married into each other. There's nothing to hide. It's all a big family.
Now that i live in N. America though, i understand you. If i died here, i would only want a few close people coming to my funeral, because i bet that the others would be happy to see me dead.
I agree with you on the posts that are beaten by the weather. I didn't like that either when i lived in Alb. Usually, the family is supposed to tear them off after some time.

 
At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David,
My name is Suzi, I am sitting here at work bored, and I went and googled Durres, and I found your blog..I love it..
I was born in Durres, and moved to US 13 years ago.
I live in Omaha NE, my parents like the warm weather and are in Las Vegas.
I am so embarrased to say this, but there are so many things that I have forgotten about the Albanian culture, I always ask my parents question and my sister because when I read something or see something I don't remember seeing in Albania, but I always remember the funerals ..my grandpa died there and I was young but I remember.
Everyone starting re arraning the house doing cleaning I remember my grandfather being in the middle of a room and all his sisters, cousin dressed in black and crying with words about his life...and at that moment when I was witnessing this I remember wishing that I just wanted to sit next to my family and hug them and cry in private.
Suzi

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger ALBATROS said...

GO BACK MAN THATS THE WAY IT IS AND IS GREAT, GO BACK WE DONT NEED YOU HERE, AKLL YOU PEOPL THAT COME AND PRETEND LIKE YOU ARE HELPING US ALL OF YOU ARE SPIES FOR CIA AND BI^ GET OUT SOON BEFORE WE THROE YOU OUT

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger ALBATROS said...

GO BACK MAN THATS THE WAY IT IS AND IS GREAT, GO BACK WE DONT NEED YOU HERE, ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT COME HERE AND PRETEND LIKE YOU ARE HELPING US ALL OF YOU ARE SPIES FOR CIA AND BI6 GET OUT SOON BEFORE WE THROW YOU OUT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home