July 05, 2006

Happy 4th of July

Happy 4th of July to Everyone. I hope you all enjoy the new look I've designed for my page. I was getting a bit tired of what blogger templates had to offer. Making a new design really wasn't as hard as I thought it might be.

Weird story from the weekend. Walking home one night I decided to pop into a small store to buy some pasta. Looking around quickly I noticed that they had a shelf with some sauces on it. One of the sauces they had was a curry sauce that is imported from Serbia. Even though "Serbian Curry Sauce" doesn't sound too tasty, I really like it. Only, I haven't been able to find it since the Winter because stores have stopped importing it. Just my luck, I had found some in this small store. I grab two bottles and go up to pay. When I get to the front of the store, the owner just gives me one of those "Are you stupid?" looks, takes the bottles from me, says "No" and offers me a bottle of mustard instead. Mustard is about the same as curry, right? Well, I ask "Pse?" (Why?), and he turns the curry bottles over and shows me that they expired in February.

Now here is the weird part. After I say I don't want the mustard, he says okay and just puts the curry bottles back on the shelf where they were before. Now, he obviously knew that the sauce was expired, and even if he didn't know before, he knows now. So why is he putting them back on the shelf? How many people have come in since February and tried to buy curry sauce only to be rebuffed at the counter? Is he not tired to telling people the curry has expired? How many of the other products in his store are actually good and for sale? Besides the guy being just nuts, the only other explanation I have come up with is that he didn't want an empty space on his shelf. But couldn't that be solved by just moving some other bottles around a bit? I am really tempted to go back and just ask the guy.

6 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should take that Header Pictur that u have and put a good and nice pic up there.If it was USA you will not put a pic from Bronx, but a nice place. Bec that is what u americans do, good ads only for you. I know USA is not like the ads and movies. So change it.

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the new look, and I think the header picture does look nice (but maybe it signifies something sad for native Albanians, what do I know)...
As for the curry sauce issue: the weirdos are around for our amusement, so don't raise your blood pressure due to them. :) *but it IS surprising how often the weirdos decide to run shops...*

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger ITS said...

I think the store owner is waiting for Serbian clientele to serve them back their own delicacies.

I could only imagine the discharging mayhem followed by expired curry sauce.

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger MĂ«rgimtari said...

Hahaha...this story is part of what makes being Albanian so frustrating!!! That, and the first commenter. Oj.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger james said...

I like the pic. I am puzzled by the fact that when I tell Albanians that the mountains and rural areas are very pretty, they don't think I am being serious. I am. Albania has some amazing nautral features. It's not perfect but it's definitely different than the cornfields I am used to in the Midwest.
Prior to my run with some food that didn't like me, I would have just bought the curry sauce. I commend your foresight.

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reason the shopkeeper would not sell you the curry sauce is because you are a foreigner, moreover, an American, and Albanians have great respect for us. The reason he put the sauce back on the shelf is that he will sell it to his Albanian neighbors without a second thought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home