November 19, 2006

Mr. Sheern

It seems that I have begun teaching quite a bit lately. About two months ago I started teaching English to kids in Keneta again. This time it has gone much better than the previous two attempts. The kids that come are motivated to learn, so that makes all the difference.



Last Wednesday, I taught in Albanian for the first time. I led an activity for a middle-school class at the school in Keneta. We talked about what parts are important for a city and then they drew maps of what Keneta looked like. After they explained their maps to the class, we talked about how each person sees the city differently depending on age, gender, economics, etc. I think they understood most of it. Afterwards, one of the kids told me that it was the first time that they had ever worked together in groups. That is kind of sad because I could tell that they really enjoyed the groupwork. Maybe I will be able to go back and do another class.


Also on Wednesday, I led some English discussion groups at the new university in Durres. I was expecting to have about 10 students in each group, but there were over 40 in all three. We discussed an article that talks about perspectives on what it means to be an American. I was able to talk about America a bit, and they were able to talk about what it means to be an Albanian.

1 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dave! It's been so long since I've written but I do check your blog often to keep up with you. That's pretty cool that you're teaching English over there...a real life Mrs. Ireton, huh? :)

As for news from my end- I moved to Hilton Head, SC a month ago (Carson got a job here about 6 months ago and the long distance was getting very old). Enjoying a new job with a marketing company and last weekend Carson proposed :) Craziness. We're thinking we'll have a big throw down next year around this time, so hopefully you can come! K, this is getting way too long.

Take care over there. I'm so proud of all you're doing.

Melissa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home