September 25, 2006

Clean Cities and Cigarettes

Last Friday was International Clean Cities Day, so we celebrated in Keneta. The youth had worked all week building a model of what they think should be included in the new kindergarten they are going to build in Keneta. It turned out well. On Friday, we went out near the abandoned hospital and planted three trees and some flowers in painted tires. I am really hoping that they survive the winter and all the coming rains. The ground in Keneta is not the best for plants, it is below sea level and fairly salty.



















If there is one generalization about Albania that has justification, is that a lot of people here smoke. My annoyance toward all the smoking ebbs and flows. It is certainly worse in the Winter, simply because everyone is indoors more and thus the second-hand smoke is worse. Right now, there are people smoking here in the internet cafe. I don't really mind except for the fact that I am going to smell like cigarettes the rest of the day.

There are two things about smoking here in Albania that bug me. The first is the high use of cigarettes by youth. I think the youngest person I have seen smoking was around 8 years-old and the level of smoking among teenagers is really high. Much like America of old, there are even cigarette brands here that are marketed directly to youth.


It certainly is a wonderful world with Elixyr cigarettes "Cigare per te Rinj" or "Cigarettes for Youth".

The other aspect of smoking here that bothers me is the way that it has become adopted among girls and women as a sign of their increasing liberation. From what I have heard, smoking among girls and women was taboo until several years ago, and even today it is not really common in many villages. However, in cities I have a seen a growing number of girls and women smoking, and many have commented to me about how it is kind of a symbol of bucking cultural norms. This certainly isn't the case for all women who smoke, but I would think for a good number. Unfortunately, if they continue smoking, their liberation will come at the cost of their lives.

My funniest experience with smoking here happened my third week in-country up North in Rreshen. I was visiting another volunteer, Daniel, and he had organized an anti-smoking activity with some school officials at a local cafe. Part of the planned program was to have a local doctor come in and speak on the health risks associated with smoking. About a half hour into the activity, we noticed the doctor was running late, so someone was sent to fetch him. All of the students were sitting, somewhat patiently, for the doctor to come. Of course, in typical Albanian irony, the doctor walked in with a lit cigarette between his lips. Needless to say, his ensuing speech was not very influential.

3 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bottom of that poster says "Tobacco does heavy damage to the health", but that young girl doesn't seem to have any damage that I can see. Regarding the smoking doctor, I think it would have been effective if he was smoking through a hole in his throat.

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,
I am an albanian living in usa. I've been reading your blog recently. I find it quite entertaining and somewhat informative. It's interesting learning more about my culture from your prespective.
I thank you for volunteering your time and effort in Albania. Every little bit helps.
That said: how much, in reality, of your full intelectual potential is being put to use to benefit Albania.
While, i am not familiar with your day to day activities, from most of your postings i only read about trips, experiences and occasional criticism (all fair).
I understand the main purpose of your web page might be just casual journalism, but i strongly suggest that you write more about what is achieved, what has changed, what needs to be done and so on.
While painting tires, planting trees, making posters and so on are important to get your message across someone educated at Baylor must have more to offer. And i am sure you do.
I am not sure how in depth your program is, but contact the local offices and offer your expertise. See if you can advise, or just pitch in ideas.
Maybe you are doing this already. If so, write a little more about it. I for one would really appreciate to see the progress.
sincerely,
manjola
c_manjola@yahoo.com

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so from what I understand they don't have a law forbidding the sale of cigarettes to those unde 18?
Well, one day there will be one, the sooner the better.
Many things change here in eastern europe although not in the pace we would want to

Olahus
Bucharest
Romania

 

Post a Comment

<< Home