November 20, 2005

Mosquitoes, Travel and ASS

This is a picture I tried to take of the mosquitoes outside my house. They have been there ever since I moved in in June and don't seem to want to go away. They are really annoying. We just had a major cold front come through this weekend, though, so maybe that will finish them off. Good ridance.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I am leaving early Thursday morning to fly to Prague, so I will be spending my holiday there. Right now my plan is to spend a couple days in Prague and then go to Krakow and Auschwitz and then down to Budapest. I hope to eventually make it back to Albania within about ten days, so I probably won't be able to spend much time in Bulgaria and Macedonia. I'm trying to keep my plans open, so that I can just do whatever I feel like doing. I am very interested to see how the rest of Eastern Europe compares to Albania. I'm afraid it might be a little depressing coming back here afterwards. I think I picked a good time to travel because the dollar exchange rate is doing pretty well right now.

I don't really want to get to political on this site, but please stay informed about what is going on in the current congressional session. There are several important issues being dealt with as I am sure that you are aware. The first is major budget cuts to important social programs like food stamps and medicare. This is being down to help finance the tax cuts Bush made. The second is the proposed resolution by McCain to firmly state that torture is not something that the U.S. should engage in or tolerate. Bush/Cheney have threatened to veto the defense budget if this resolution is attached. Please stay informed and keep your representatives accountable.

Finally, on a lighter note, I took this picture in Tirana and thought it was funny. It is for ASS wedding dresses. I think there spokeswoman should be J.Lo and that their slogan should be "Make sure your bride gets ASS on her special day." Ok have a good one.

2 Comments:

At 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so funny, I'm albanian and I never see it that way.
Ass means ace, so it should mean something first rate, or of good quality.
Anyway, it's interesting to see how foreigners view things I've become so used to I don't even notice anymore.
Great blog.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're so silly. ask any of your albanian guy friends what 'car' means in albanian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home