March 30, 2006

No More Mud




During the past month and a half or so they have been paving the road next to my house. It's a pretty decent road now. Before it was just a giant mudhole, and I usually walked a different way when I was heading downtown. Now that it's paved, I can use this road and is a bit faster.

The other thing I have noticed since the road has been paved is how much the kids are enjoying it. In the evening the traffic isn't very heavy on the road and the kids are able to skate and bike on the new pavement. A smooth, paved road with no potholes is a rare find in Durres, and I'm not sure these kids have ever had the chance to play in the street like they are now. Growing up in small-town America, that's all we did as kids. I think we were playing in the street about every chance we had.

Speaking of kids, I have been rather bothered lately by all the kids selling things on the street. I guess it just bothers me that they aren't in school. To think that parents would rather have their kids selling cigarettes than getting an education seems very near-sighted and abusive. I'm not sure why this is just bothering me now, perhaps because I have been spending more time in Tirana and child labor is definitely more predominant here.

Anyway, things are good. The weather is great today.

2 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thaks god it is done

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site...
» » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home