August 24, 2006

Naked Female Centaur Tattoos

In my experiences traveling, I have discovered one hard and fast rule. The more difficult a place is to get to, the more beautiful. This is certainly true of the southern coast of Albania. This past week I made the effort to get down to Dhermi, a small beach town between Vlore and Sarande, and it was absolutely amazing, the best beaches I have seen in Albania yet.


Oh, but according to the rule, Dhermi's beauty is dependent on it's remoteness, and I can tell you that getting there and back was not an easy endeavor. Getting there, my friend and I were able to catch a public bus from Fier that would take us down. Once on the bus, I could quickly see that all of the seats were occupied, so a lady with her young son was kind enough to share her seat with me. So I was on my way to Dhermi with at least one butt cheek on the seat. After about 5 minutes of hearing Albanian music mixed with babies crying, I put on my headphones. Unfortunately, headphones do nothing for blocking out smells. The three young kids sitting around me had all promptly started puking, and I can only equate the smell to what Tim Robbins must have experienced in the sewers under Shawshank Prison.

Luckily, it turns out that topless female centaur tattoos are a good diversion for passing a long bus ride. The Greek man across the aisle was sporting what can be mildly referred to as a "bad tattoo", so I spent the remainder of the ride concocting adventures for half-woman, half-horse creature. I finally decided that she had been in love with Pan (the half-man, half-goat), but that her parents would not accept her relationship with another species, so she was riding off to take revenge. Before you put me in a straightjacket, you try riding a bus for 5 hours in Albania.

Eventually we made it, and Dhermi was amazing. The water was clear, clean and just the right temperature.

Finally, a special thanks to Etienne and Laura from Paris for giving a couple of poor Peace Corps Volunteers a ride back to Vlore.

I have put up my pictures from Dhermi and some others I have taken on my Flickr site.

5 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quote from FlickR: "the serious albanian face"

Hilarious!!

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bus rides in Albania sounds like a blast! Must be tried at least once before you die! :D

 
At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David,

I just noticed on the news tonight that Co-plan is involved in finding and planning for the use of alternative fuels in Albania. Is that something that you're involved with and can you tell us a bit?

Thanks,

Ll.

 
At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats what you get for public transportation everywhere in the world even in the States,so if you don't like it buy a car.........

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Kela said...

Hi there David I am Kela from Albania and i have lived in Albania till the age of 18. I know that it is a horrible experience to travel with buses in albania. I can image what you have gone through, but you most have forget all this once you have arrived in Llogara. You said that you have been in Dhermi, it is a beautiful place i have seen it. I used to travel every summer from Vlora to Himare and most of the times i was standing (there was no place to sit) for 4 hours. I hope that you will forget this bad experience with the buses and i hope that you have enyojed your time there. I know what you mean that was difficult to go to the beach, i loved and i love to go and swim on a place in Himara called Filikur, it is magic. For me that was the only place in the world that i would like to be. Maybe I am boring you now i apologise for that.
Thank you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home