August 03, 2005

Cynicism

I don't know if you can tell from some of my previous posts, but I have progressed passed the honeymoon stage of cultural adapation, and I am now well into the judgmental/cynical phase. So forgive my if my posts seem hypercritical of Albania and Albanians. That's just kind of what I am feeling right now. Some of the criticism is deserved, but most of it is probably just my clouded perspective.

Taught English again today. I'm starting to enjoy it more now. Mostly because time has weeded out the kids that would come just for something to do and not to really learn English. So the kids that come still are really interested in learning, so that makes the process easier and more enjoyable. I am still really looking for something to get involved in around here other than teaching two days a week. I should be probably making more of an effort, but it is unbearably hot here now and so no one is really out and about until the evening. Guess I'll just have to wait until fall.

My friend did suggest an idea that I come down to her town in the South and give a training on Photoshop to people in the local government where she works. That would be fun to do, so I hope she is able to work it out. Plus I am trying to get PC to buy me a manual on AutoCad so I can learn that program better. Co-Plan uses it quite a bit for mapping and other reasons, so I could probably help out more if I was more accomplished with the program.

Still haven't found a potential Albanian wife yet. But the pressure continues from verious Albanian acquaintances. I just keep saying "kismet" (fate) and that seems to satisfy them for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home