August 13, 2005

Weekend

It's been a good weekend. My friend Peter has come up from Permet and has been staying with me in Durres, and the other volunteer from my group in Durres, Katharine, her parents are visiting on their way back to Nairobi, where they live. It was nice to meet them, and they paid for a lunch on Friday which is always appreciated on the Peace Corps budget.

Last night Peter and I decided to go to Tirana about 7 pm to see some people that had come up for the weekend. So we went knowing that we wouldn't have a place to stay for the night. So long story short we stayed up the whole night in Tirana doing what it is that 20 somethings do in Tirana. Mainly dance at bars and clubs and talk to people. It was a good time, but we were a little out of it come the morning. We were able to go the Peace Corps office about 10 am and sleep a little bit there. We have come back for Durres for tonight, and tomorrow will be very low key I'm sure.

One weird story from the night is that we went to get coffee about 6:30 am, and right when we sat down, a kid outside ran his moped into a big trash bin. He didn't get hurt and it was pretty funny. Immediately after this, a drunk guy in the cafe with his shirt off and bandages all around his stomach came up to us and started yelling at us. According to him, he had been stabbed in the butt and shot in the side, but who really knows. I don't remember the entire conversation but it was really quite weird. Then we saw a guy that looked just like Abe Vagoda. And had other adventures.

Tuesday I am leaving to go to Erseke to help a volunteer that works there with the local gov't work on some tourism promotion brochures. After that I am probably going to go over to Permet and then make my way back up the coast from Saranda to Vlore to Durres. Plenty of beach time. Co-Plan doesn't reopen until Sept, so nothing really going on here until then. Might as well get outta town while I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home