August 30, 2005

Abandoned Hospital




Life is proceeding normally. Just finished another book yesterday. It was called "White Teeth". Pretty good, I think I would recommend it.

Anyway, I am in Tirana today to do some work on the computers at the office. Tuesdays are a good day to come because the office isn't full of volunteers like on the weekends. I've started trying to gather some information on an abandoned hospital in Keneta. So far what I have been able to find out is that it was built back in the mid 90s through help from the Internationl Lions Club and has been closed for about 5 years now. I have been emailing the European project director at Lions Club and she has been helpful in getting more info. According to their records, the hospital was still operating so I think they were kind of surprised to here of its current state. I just emailed some pictures of the property to her to see what else she can tell me.

The hospital occupies some prime real estate in the neighborhood and I would really like to see the property and the building used for something beneficial to the neighborhood rather than just another eyesore. Perhaps a community center or something. We'll see.

The Co-Plan office reopens in a couple of days, so I am trying to compose a list of project ideas that I would like to work on and then I am going to sit down with my boss and talk them over. Hopefully they will be supportive. I am also hoping that there will be a little more work activity at the office in the fall, but with all the coming turnover in personnel, it could be an interesting time.

1 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David!!!!!! Sounds like you're doing alrigh, buddy! I swore in on August 17 and have been assignned to an NGO called Fund Sukhumi which serves women and IDPs from Abkhazia. I think of you from time to time and wonder how you are. Sounds like you're doing interesting and challenging work. Good luck with the hospital.

I should get myself a blog......

Thinking of you!

Oh, Stacey and Allyson are in PST now, in case you didn't know.

What is your address? I have something from DURP to send you. Please e it to my email.

Later,

Sue Trone

 

Post a Comment

<< Home